26 May 2009

Posted by Zahid Hussain | File under : ,

I have often found that two things separate would-be writers from taking wing into the sky of words that they dream of.

They read little.
They write little.

Yet they expect an instant masterpiece to appear out of the nib of their favourite fountain pen.

I encounter such writers so often that I have fallen into the habit of asking them "who" they read and then I ask them "what" they are writing.

And the usual answer?

Hmmm.
Well.
Cough.
Ahem.

And then the million dollar phrase: "but X said that my writing was really good".

Enough.

This is all you have to do - and yes, you have to keep doing it.

1. Read.
2. Write.

Who said life wasn't simple? :-)

ZHZ

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to think of what to say. I don't like comments on people's blogs for purely social reasons and as such I have to think about what to say and only comment when something moves me. Your blog moved me. You have great posts that are not only brilliant tools for writing but are inspiring as well so thank you for sharing your knowledge so freely.

    Congratulations, also, on your novel. You voice as a writer is incredibly strong and I can only imagine how much stronger your novel must be. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Venus,

    That is very kind of you.

    I hope that I can continue to write from the big white yonder of the imagination and share my musings, like you, with the world.

    ZHZ.

    ReplyDelete